Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Bottom Line

Denying our own sinfulness is as old as human history itself. After succumbing to temptation, Adam and Eve come up with every unsupportable excuse in the book to explain why they recklessly betrayed God’s commandment. Eve said, “The serpent deceived me and I ate.” And the man said, “The woman...gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate.” (Genesis 3:13, 12)


When we indulge our sinful nature and give way to temptation, we immediately default to self-justification and excuse making. But behind the assertion that "I’ve done nothing wrong” is the uneasy knowledge that I have done something very wrong and my weak claim to innocence will not wash away my very real guilt and shame.

2 comments:

  1. How apropos esp in this day and age when no one seems to want or be able to take responsibility for one's own actions but rather look for reasons to even 'blame' someone else for their inappropriate and very often sinful actions. Very sad but obviously nothing new from the human condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if there wasn't the deep fear of God, they would have been more honest and truthful, but instead their worst fears in fact did come true.

    ReplyDelete